[Dxspider-support] SEt/ISOlate

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Fri Jan 24 20:45:32 GMT 2003

Isolation was the original way for DXSpider nodes to have a 'passive'
link. I don't like passive links so I invented this as a concept.

When you set/isolate, you are creating a 'firewall' between you and the
other node. He will only see you and your local users, you will see all
his nodes and users but this information is not passed on to other
neighbouring nodes. And (this is crucial) neither is any other
information (such as DX Spots, announces, wwv etc) *unless* you have
filters defined that pass on this information.

It is as if you have a 'secret' link just between the two of you. In
some ways you can consider it a bit like a local 'spot sucker' in that
your node and its users can access the isolated neighbour as though it
is part of the whole cluster. But it is so visible only to you and your
node.

If you want to pass on information gained then you need to define a
filter (most people have a "accept/spots node_default all" and the same
for wwv and announces [except in the UK of course]). This will pass on
any spots and so on gained thru this link to the rest of the cluster.

acc/route and its friends will not work on a set/isolated node.

Hope this helps a bit.

Dirk G1TLH