[Dxspider-support] Large user_asc.* files?

Saul B. Dinman sdinman at gis.net
Sun Jan 26 15:11:58 GMT 2003

Version 1.51 build 57.135 under Win ME
While on the subject of user_asc.* files, has anyone noticed a problem with
garbage sneaking into the NN.DAT files during an EXPORT? I periodically use
the sh/log [call] to check the uptime of our feeder node and its alternate
and periodically I notice the sh/log function will spew out garbage
characters, somehow changing the character set used by telnet, and from then
on telnet is using some strange new character set that does not reproduce
all of the keyboard strokes (some, but not all). When I investigate the
problem in the log file I always find one or more errors indicated during an
export. For example I had 2 such transactions in my 01.dat log, one of which
looked like this:

1042934478^DXCommand^Export Error1: Ú4“Á¿Új

----- and a lot more which won't display in this ASCII editor, some of which
is readable, most not. Some of the lines are over 1K characters in length.
In any event it amounts to a lot of characters. Sometimes it will run for
almost a month without producing the trashed entry, but it always occurs at
least once, sometimes twice in a month. I simply fix them by shutting down
the cluster and editing the file to remove the garbage entries. Now that
I've studied the entries, it looks like it actually is happening regularly
every time a DXCOMMAND Export is performed because after editing, I don't
see any more of them in there anywhere. That always gets the log going again
properly, but it would be nice to know what's that all about and get rid of
it.

I haven't seen anything as large as the 1 GB plus user_asc files mentioned
by Renee, but since those files seem to contain the results of all these
exports, who knows maybe that trash adds up quicker than I thought.

Saul, K1BI
K1RK Node in Falmouth, MA