[Dxspider-support] Can't enable password prompting on telnet

Robert Chalmas rchalmas at users.ch
Thu Jul 3 09:59:24 BST 2003

HB9DHG wrote:

>>2) I don't have any password prompt in telnet session even if I've set
>>   the set/var $main::passwdreq = 0 in my startup file (cmd directory)
>
> I've not jet received any suggestion .. but for all community ..
> in my Linux Mandrake 9.0 I must use the internal Telnet of DXSpider (with
> listen.pl)
> and not the xinet.d services of the OS.

You should use set/var $main::passwdreq = 1 to get the passwd request.

Anyway, I'm also having problems with that function on my node HB9IAP-9
(running build 57.245 on Debian 3.0). I set the variable to 1, but no
success: everyone gets in over telnet without being prompted for a password.
I tried to add the variable to /spider/scripts/startup and restarted the node,
but no more success.

What's is really strange is that this function works fine on my test machine,
both with build 57.245 on Windows XP Pro and with build 57.242 on
Mandrake 9.1 !

It seems that something interferes with that function, but what ?

Any idea would be welcome, as it's very important that this function
works on the real node, else I won't be allowed to open the telnet access.

73's de                                Robert - HB9BZA

--
Robert CHALMAS, PO Box 1225, CH-1227 Carouge/GE, SWITZERLAND
    email:        rchalmas at users.ch    AX-25: HB9BZA @ HB9IAP