[Dxspider-support] Telnet logins not timing out

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Tue Jul 8 08:53:11 BST 2003

This is caused by ISP whom are too lazy or stupid to setup their dynamic
address systems to work properly (which is about half of the UK ISPs).

What you are seeing is the consequence of the (usually) 2 hour cutoff
for a connection used by UK ISPs. After the cutoff you have to dial in
again.

What happens is that, after the cutoff, packets that I send go down a
black hole unless and until someone else uses that IP address with a
proper IP stack (ie not M$), and issues an ICMP indicating that it
doesn't recognise the 'connection'.

This is a consequence of the design of IP, not a 'telnet timeout' issue
as such.

Now, I have tried to use TCP keep-alives, but that doesn't work unless
the "circuit" is quiet. Sending packets just seems to drop into the TCP
'window'.

Dirk