[Dxspider-support] Telnet logins not timing out

Colin Harris charis.g3orh at virgin.net
Tue Jul 8 10:51:52 BST 2003

There seems to be a large variation in failures to disconnect or time out
with most ( if not all ) being reported due to telnet connections. We have
found just the same effect with netrom connects when a hardware failure
happens at user level or with an interlink node. Dirk's probably right about
ISP's though mine disconnects me with amazing regularity and speed.

Without being able to say what causes it , my feelings are that it is a
cumulative affect caused by ISP's and also the various implementations
within Linux and Linux's treatment of ax25 / netrom. You can't really blame
it all on ISP's when the same thing happens using netrom connects. What I
don't think is that it is Spider though it will still send spots ad
infinitum almost even though a user has hard disconnected. ( Makes mental
note to tighten up own timeout timers ). A failing of "Node" software to
send the disconnect acknowlege perhaps ? This has certainly been noted on
occasions !

Who know's what M$ does

' Fraid it is down to you boffins to find the answer.

- Regards Colin