[Dxspider-support] Mail Enhancement?

scarroll at mchsi.com scarroll at mchsi.com
Wed Jun 4 20:13:32 BST 2003

Here's an idea to enhance the DX Spider mail system:

PROBLEM:  Many users remain connected to their local cluster (building a DX
Spot list) even though they may be (literally) miles away from the computer
terminal. Let's say I send XYZ a mail message, currently DX Spider will send
XYZ a short notice that he/she has New Mail. That's great if XYZ is around to
see it at that moment. However, let's say XYZ finishes mowing the grass, comes
inside and commences to view the past DX spot activity within his program. The
previous New Mail notice is probably buried in a ton of DX spots, so it would
not be noticed unless the user typed DIR or DIR/NEW, or eventually when he/she
logged out and the logged back in at a later time.

SOLUTION: Several cluster programs send a friendly "New Mail Pending" message
to the user every time the 10 minute "keep-alive" prompt is sent. Example:

*** New Mail Pending ***
K2SC de W4QB  4-Jun-2003 1856Z >

I realize Mail is NOT a priority in the grand scheme of the DX Cluster world,
but there are times when it's necessary to have a personal mail read quickly
and this would help get it noticed quicker.

Just a thought...

73, Steve - K2SC