[Dxspider-support] PC Speed

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Mon Mar 31 14:16:01 BST 2003

DXSpider is written in perl, which is an interpreted language. It makes
things easy to write, but it ain't 'quick' (at least by my standards).
Fortunately there isn't much that requires it to be that 'quick' so I
haven't resorted to writing bits of C code to speed up the 'slow' bits.
I also have avoiding 'databases' to reduce the configuration required.

There is no question that giving it some decent CPU will make it work
better. Memory, on the other hand, will make little difference once
there is enough.

Basically a largish DXSpider node's memory usage will max out at around
the 24-26Mb mark (if GB7DJK is anything to go by [14 nodes and
30+users]). Smaller and not so busy nodes will use less. Really big
nodes will use a bit more (but probably not much more than 30Mb).

Because it is all self contained, there isn't much point in giving it
any more RAM. You enough to run the operating system and any other stuff
that you want to on the machine + (say) a 32Mb stick of RAM for DXSpider
and that will be fine.

I have run it quite successfully (in linux) with a small webserver, some
local mail and the node on a 500Mhz celeron with 64Mb of RAM. 32Mb
wasn't quite enough.

Dirk G1TLH