[Dxspider-support] Help Needed: New install on WinXP

Dave Hawes dave.n3rd at comcast.net
Sat Dec 18 15:48:26 GMT 2004

One of the locals here in the Philadelphia area had his machine go
belly up, so we are trying to install DX Spider on a brand new Win XP
box.

I installed an older version of Perl, namely v5.6.1, build 633.  At
the c: prompt, I type:

perl -v

with the following results:

Copyright 1987-2001, Larry Wall

Binary build 633 provided by ActiveState Corp.
http://www.ActiveState.com
Built 21:33:05 Jun 17 2002

So far, so good.  I then proceed to attempt to load the additional
modules, again using the same versions of the five necessary as are
currently being used on other machines running 5.6.1/633.  This is
where I get an error that I can't seem to work around.  When I type:

cd:\ppm
ppm install Data-Dumper.ppd

but instead of installing the package, I get this error message:

Installing package 'Data-Dumper.ppd'...
Writing C:\Perl\site\lib\auto\Data\Dumper\.packlist
Error installing package 'Data-Dumper.ppd': Can't open file
C:\Perl\site\lib\auto\Data\Dumper\.packlist: Permission denied at
C:/Perl/lib/ExtUtils/Install.pm line 167

The very same message is displayed for each of the five additional
packages that are needed, so I'm stuck at this point in the
installation process.

It seems like an attempt is being made to write a file, but access is
denied.

So, what to do?  Is this a Windows XP security/sharing problem, and
if so, how do I get around it?

Should I bail out on the older version/build and go with the latest
from ActiveState?  (I tried that before, but there doesn't seem to be
a version of DB_File out there any longer.)

Thanks for any help.

73 - Dave N3RD