[Dxspider-support] cluster stalling

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Mon Dec 20 17:57:25 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 08:57 -0800, Dan Bookwalter wrote:
> Well since i am new to this i'll give youwhat i can
> for now...
>
> Redhat Linux 9
> DXSpider 1.51a
> Telnet only connections
>
> one user is using Hyperterminal... if i dont have the
> keep alive status set to 30 seconds on my logging
> program (Logic) i get disconnected also...
>
> what other info do you need ???

What build no are you using (sh/ver)?

But this is something which I have not seen reported before, since the
program was written.

Is this a stock redhat 9? Is naked, ie not behind a firewall? If it is
naked, have you switched off everything else except DXSpider?

Could I just say that Redhat 9 is now so out of date that I would
strongly recommend that anybody not behind a firewall, which prevents
access to any port other than the DXSpider port, WILL BE ROOTED (ie
taken over by nasty people) sooner rather than later.

Please note that also unless you have recompiled and installed the
lastest version of SSH and OpenSSL, the lastest update available for
Redhat 9 (3.5p1) is known to be vulnerable and is actively being
exploited.

It you have been rooted and your box is being used for the things that
rooted boxes are, then that may explain your problem.

Use Fedora 3 if you want a Redhat sponsored distro, I use Mandrake 10.1
which I think is easier to install and maintain - but you (don't need
to) pay you money and you take your choice.

If you do go for one of these, reinstall from scratch, reformat all your
partitions otherwise you will leave any nastiness behind.

73 Dirk G1TLH