[Dxspider-support] "you are connected to me" Problem

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Wed Dec 29 03:20:45 GMT 2004

On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 04:51:20PM -0800, Lee Sawkins wrote:

> My user program detects the "you are connected to me on another port"
> message.  It then generates a random SSID and reconnects.  G3VQO is
> using this program.  Today G3VQO and G3VQO with 11 different SSIDs were
> connected to me at the same time.  That's correct, 12 connections.  The
> original link took 8 hours to disconnect after it quit working.  The
> others took various amounts of time.  As I have said before, why not
> simply disconnect the original link when a new one shows up with the
> same call?

One reason I can see is that someone who wanted to cause trouble could
disconnect other users that way.

With links there is a mechanism using ping to cause a disconnect when
the obscount is exceeded.  Perhaps a ping could be used for users as
well as links to other clusters.  This wouldn't be immediate, but would
be much faster than 8 hours.  An obscount setting would allow a bit of
network flakiness.

Bob, N7XY