[Dxspider-support] "you are connected to me" Problem

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Thu Dec 30 14:45:37 GMT 2004

> One thing that Spider does that I don't like is that it treats all these
> SSIDs are completely separate users.  They have to log in and resend all
> their information.   The big problem is that the filters don't carry
> over from one SSID to the other.  In AR Cluster the filters are carried
> from one SSID to another, unless the SSID is over 15.  That is why you
> occaassionally see AR Cluster users with SSIDs of -16, -17 etc.

Now this is a long standing gripe that many people have had, but I have
several problems with doing it differently.

Firstly a callsign is treated as a unique (primary) key on a node. It
would be *very* inconvenient for me if this was to be changed. It makes
everything very much more complicated. There is a further, important
issue for node operators: most parts of the world you don't have the
(in)convenience of a completely separate callsign for the node (eg, for
me, GB7DJK/GB7TLH for the nodes and G1TLH for me). So you have to run it
under some version of your callsign. In order for the unique key to
operate then you will need either to run the node with <call>-<ssid> and
the sysop alias as <call>, or the other way around.

I also reckon that other software would get a bit confused if you appear
as node one minute and a user the next, then keep swapping.

It could all be fixed of course, it is just a load of work and testing.

However, I will take on board your remarks about cloning user data from
the non-ssided call onto ssided ones.

The real question is: if I allow bumping of existing users (so people
could reconnect with the same callsign) would all this problem with
ssids still exist to the same extent?