[Dxspider-support] "you are connected to me" Problem

Ron Stordahl ron.stordahl at digikey.com
Thu Dec 30 22:40:53 GMT 2004

There are a number of problems here.  The main one is the apparent fact
that if you lose your telnet connection this fact is not immediately
signaled to dxspider.  Since telnet is a connected protocol certainly it
must have the capability to do this, then dxspider could drop the
connection immediately and when the user tries to reconnect with the
same call-ssid he will be able to do so.  At one time I looked at the
registry settings regarding tcp and I think there is a setting in there
for 'keep alive' but it is at some insane value like 7200000
milliseconds (2 hours!)  But the user program (in this case dxspider)
can call a routine to adjust it downward...maybe 30 seconds would be
more like it?  Now I am not sure that this is the parameter of interest,
but this might give you an idea of what to do so that disconnects are
promptly signaled to dxspider so it can take appropriate action.

The second problem is the question of user filter settings (maybe all
settings) associated with different (0 thru 15) SSID's of the same
call.  I don't know what was the motivation, but in AR-Cluster CALL-SSID
for 0 thru 15 all have the same user settings.  That was actually a
problem in some cases, and so AR-Cluster allowed higher SSIDS (16 and up
to some value unknown to me  - of course only via telnet ), the
characteristic being that that set of SSIDS's (maybe all of them as a
group 15) can have a set of user characteristics different from the 0-15
group..  I would say it was a kludge..but a needed one.

Since you consider SSID's (0 - 15 ) all as distinct there would be no
need to do the greater than 15 trick in dxspider as long as disconnects
were quickly dealt with.

If telnet would promptly signal a disconnect then Lee VE7CC might not
need to have his program generate new SSID's for automatic reconnect either.

Ron, N5IN