[Dxspider-support] How to connect with PuTTY ?

Eric Carling ericc at metro800.co.uk
Thu Feb 26 08:44:04 GMT 2004

Hi Bela,

Are you running a firewall or proxy server? The reason I ask is that,
following your findings about passive negotiation, I had a look at the PuTTY
documentation. It states:

In active mode, PuTTY starts to send negotiations as soon as the connection
is opened.
In passive mode, PuTTY will wait to negotiate until it sees a negotiation
from the server.

The obvious disadvantage of passive mode is that if the server is also
operating in a passive mode, then negotiation will never begin at all. For
this reason PuTTY defaults to active mode.
However, sometimes passive mode is required in order to successfully get
through certain types of firewall and Telnet proxy server.
Maybe this helps your investigations? I hope so.
73 de Eric.
(As this has moved off-topic, best to end the thread).