[Dxspider-support] Re: Network showing 'DXC connected all over

Ian J Maude ian at gb7mbc.net
Tue Jun 22 19:42:38 BST 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 11:10, Darren G0TSM wrote:

> There are a hell of a lot of British Op's who have drifted off onto
> nodes
> in other continents.
Hi Darren and others.  This has always seemed odd to me.  It is their
right to go wherever they wish of course, the wonders of the Internet
and all that, but the UK cluster system is pretty robust and is easily
accessible.

> We need a total network reconfig, I haven't a clue how it would have
> to be
> setup, but we have to do something as the current arrangement is crap.
I totally agree here.  I tried to do something about it over a year
ago.  The wave of emanated apathy was deafening!  The rules, however are
quite simple.

Do NOT have multiple loops into the same network.  Share the load with
other sysops.  If they link to a node, what is the point of you doing
the same whilst you are connected together?

Only trust one source for each country you want to bring in.

Ensure that your connected partners follow the same rules!

If you do not follow the rules, then loops will occur!  Modern software,
including DXSpider will not curl up it's toes with a loop but it WILL
show the wrong information.  It is amazing how close that information
can exist.  For example, yesterday, GB7BAA (who I link to directly)
showed well over 100 users on GB7MBC (my node) when in actuality it was
closer to 20!  That is only 1 hop away and completely useless.

For a few years now several sysops (including myself) have tried to
limit the problems on the network.  We "meet" regularly on a private
chatroom where Dirk has been a constant presence and the amount of
modifications and ideas generated there has been tremendous.

Anyone who wants to join us is welcome.  I suggest you get a copy of
XChat (Windows or Linux) and email me for details of the connection to
the chatroom.

The network is quite horribly looped these days I am afraid.  Some of
this is due to sysops who simply set up a cluster and run it, having no
idea how to maintain it and never check their node.  This leads to
pirate situations where it is impossible to locate the offender (believe
me, we have tried!)

I would love to see a decent, well routed network, where everyone gets
everything they want and has automatic backup links in case of
connection failures.  This is possible now but it is the will to do it
that seems to be missing.

Now if that doesn't cause some discussion, nothing will! :-)

Ian
Ian Maude G0VGS Morecambe Lancs UK | ian at gb7mbc.net
Sysop of GB7MBC, the Morecambe Bay Cluster
Running Linux and DXSpider | K2 #4044

Find out about Summits on the Air!
Visit the SOTA web site at http://www.sota.org.uk