[Dxspider-support] Network .... was - Re: Network showing 'DXC connected all over

Hank Kohl K8DD k8dd at arrl.net
Wed Jun 23 15:23:56 BST 2004

At 6/22/2004 02:42 PM, Ian J Maude wrote:

>I would love to see a decent, well routed network, where everyone gets
>everything they want and has automatic backup links in case of
>connection failures.  This is possible now but it is the will to do it
>that seems to be missing.
>
>Now if that doesn't cause some discussion, nothing will! :-)

We had that ...... Back when AK1A was somewhere around version 3 and 4.
All RF links, covered anywhere from several states to several call areas and
it worked fine .... pings were in seconds, not milliseconds like they are now.

Of course we didn't see all the activity from EU, SA, etc ..... And sometimes
we didn't have the east coast spots to "see what we may be able to hear in
an hour or so" ...... We had to think, use DX Edge or a gray-line program.

And the DX spots came out in reverse chronological order like they don now -
we haven't come all that far, have we?!

I guess it's nice to have all that massive list of nodes and users available to
the nodes if that's what you want/need ..... My RF users - all four of them
- are
happy seeing DX spots from North America, have rarely, if ever, done a Sh/Conf,
and I don't have a burning desire to connect to several other nodes to make
sure that I don't miss any DX spots from anywhere!  Guess I like the
filters - they
work real  well here.

So there's my opinion ..... Got the best cluster software (and I've tried
most all
of them) with the least administration and it works fine!

73    Hank    K8DD