[Dxspider-support] Selfspotter (SPAM) (CHAT)

Eric Carling ericc at metro800.co.uk
Mon May 10 11:03:01 BST 2004

There is data and then there is quality of data. A responsible sysop is one
who provides a useful service for his users. That precludes getting the
results of, for a real case example, sh/dx/20 that shows M3... spotting
himself 8 times on 18130 calling CQ to the exclusion of useful data that has
been lost in the proliferation of junk. Without some kind of self regulation
and a modicum of policing, the dx spot databases which are already abused by
non-callsign infiltration, will lose their value still further and will need
more intensive interrogation to extract the valuable information as
considered by the majority.

Although client software can obviate some of these problems by providing the
necessary filtering, nevertheless it should be incumbent on sysops to
advocate and implement this kind of filtering at source. Without responsible
action, including education, inevitably what is now a mild nuisance will
become a significant bug-bear into the future.