[Dxspider-support] Selfspotter (SPAM) (CHAT)

Richard Bown richard.bown at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon May 10 15:52:48 BST 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 08:54 -0400, Hank Kohl K8DD wrote:
> At 5/10/2004 06:03 AM, you wrote:
>
> >There is data and then there is quality of data. A responsible sysop is one
> >who provides a useful service for his users. That precludes getting the
> >results of, for a real case example, sh/dx/20 that shows M3... spotting
> >himself 8 times on 18130 calling CQ to the exclusion of useful data that has
> >been lost in the proliferation of junk. Without some kind of self regulation
> >and a modicum of policing, the dx spot databases which are already abused by
> >non-callsign infiltration, will lose their value still further and will need
> >more intensive interrogation to extract the valuable information as
> >considered by the majority.
> >
> >Although client software can obviate some of these problems by providing the
> >necessary filtering, nevertheless it should be incumbent on sysops to
> >advocate and implement this kind of filtering at source. Without responsible
> >action, including education, inevitably what is now a mild nuisance will
> >become a significant bug-bear into the future.
>
> I see a comparison of "bad" data ( self spotting ) to "bad e-mail ( SPAM ).
> Many people or their ISP's feel that they have to filter out SPAM and this
> thread
> is saying that SysOps should filter out self spotting.
>
> My personal opinion on SPAM is it is the users responsibility - what is SPAM to
> you just may not be SPAM to me.
> What is a "bad" spot ( self spotting, in this case ) may not be a "bad"
> spot to me,
> or my users.
>
> Let's not make SysOps censors.  However I agree that there are sections of the
> world that could make better use of the TALK and / or CHAT functions!
>
> There's my 2 cents for whatever it's worth.
>
> 73    Hank   K8DD

I've been watching this thread and the one think I'll point out is the
example of a M3 continuously self spotting is a bit unfair.
The M3 licence is the UK novice license and very easily obtained, not
quite one free with 5 packets of cornflakes , but close.

In that case there is a simple solution, talk to him and explain that
self spotting on HF is not going to help him get a QSO. Even better if
its done one air, it'll soon get round.

As for self spotting on VHF and higher there is a place for this,
activity is low and if a beacon which is not normally heard is heard,
what wrong with self spotting in the direction of that beacon.
This becomes more on the uWave bands.

There trouble is there are too many HF op's who consider that VHF and
upwards is a waste of space and so are the users.
I thought and it used to be in the UK licence the whole point of this
hobby was for self training.

I certainly wont use any form of censorship on anyone who uses this
cluster node, I'm also not one to stand on a soap box criticising of
classes of licence, which I detect is in the background.

And as for losing data, because some sends some spots, why not use a
decent terminal program, which you can scroll back and see what you
missed, If your using Linux I have TKCLuster which I've hacked from
something else which anyone is welcome to a copy. If you run windows ,
well QED

Richard G8JVM
sysop GB7IPT