[Dxspider-support] Self spotting - More

Gunnar Widell (HF/ESE) gunnar.widell at ericsson.com
Fri Nov 5 12:48:58 GMT 2004

I have tried to explain to VHF and microwave contesters the fact that self spotting is considered "bad habit" among at least HF hams. The use of CHAT could be more correct.

During last NAC Contest on 144 MHz, I came to the conclusion that it will be impossible to change this practice among the VHF and up contesters. I fully understand that it also helps activity on the MW bands, if you point the antenna towards the other station, and know that he is transmitting, to be able to make a QSO.

I have been operating from SK0CT and SK3W during these contests and found that we are loosing TOO many qsos by never use self spotting or:  DX DL1SUN 144107 please beam to JP80

Almost no spots during the Tuesday nights contest, was "real" spots (i.e.. spotted station was calling CQ on this frequency), most spots was requests for QSOs.

On HF this is behaviour is controlled in the contest rules.
On VHF is not.... at least not in Sweden.

Don't get surprised if you see "self spotting or skedspotting" from SK3W on 144 MHz very soon.

And: Please, please encourage the use of CHAT to your users.

73 de Gunnar SM3SGP
@ SK3W-6