[Dxspider-support] Self spotting - More

Dave Court EI3IO at connogue.com
Fri Nov 5 15:07:55 GMT 2004

Hi
Let'e just assume we can all agree on taking measures to police self
spotting (pity we can't do the same for the spleeet and uppppppp
brigade!). Is a possible outcome of such a measure an increase in
logging on with another call (possibly unauthorised) to make the spot?
Personally I think the current situation is probably better with the
occasional shaming of HF operators.

BTW I sometimes self spot myself on the European 70 MHz band when I know
the band is open but there is no activity. This is done to encourage
activity on 4m which I don't think is a bad thing, given the commercial
interest in the band in EI and our reliance on the band for AX25
inter-node linking! As with most issues there are two sides. Please
carefully consider the results of any policing measures!!!
73s Dave

Darren G0TSM wrote:
> Hi All,
> Was there ever a conclusion to the self spotting saga?..
> I wonder if self spotters could have their spot stopped and be sent a
> message..
>
> SORRY YOU CANT SPOT YOURSELF, YOUR ATTEMPT HAS BEEN LOGGED...WHAT YOU
> REALLY MEAN IS THAT YOUR STATION'S SIGNAL IS SO WEAK THAT YOU HAVE TO
> RESULT TO SPOTTING YOURSELF TO BE FOUND....TIP: BUY A BETTER ANTENNA!..
>
> Or something along those lines ;-)
>
> Darren..
>
> (GB7EDX)

This Email comes from Dave Court - EI3IO, G3SDL, OZ3SDL
QTH (Grid) Locator - IO63WF
Web Site: http://EI3IO.com
EI7SDX:SHANDX DX packet cluster web site: http://shandx.ath.cx
Cluster Access telnet://shandx.ath.cx:5000
Node Access telnet://shandx.ath.cx:7400
QSL address: 'Connogue', River Lane, Shankill, Co. Dublin, Ireland
Skype Username: Connogue or Connport
Fax: +353 1 272 2059
Professional Web Site: http://connogue.com