[Dxspider-support] Self spotting - More

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Mon Nov 8 23:56:56 GMT 2004

Self spotting is a very emotive subject, but it is a subset of a bigger
problem.

On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 20:14 +0100, Robert Chalmas wrote:
> The final result is that maybe 20 people will appreciate your selfspot,
> while 5000 others will be disturbed by it, and the dozens of other
> self-spots received daily. This means a very poor efficiency.

Robert: don't take this personally, these are comments on the subject -
not an attack on your views particularly. I am using your words as a cue
for my thoughts.

DX Spotting is, by definition, extremely inefficient. Very, very (very)
few spots are of "universal" interest and, again by definition, if they
are: then the ops concerned wish that no-one had spotted them (pretty
soon :-).

The fact is that (guessing here - with wet finger in air) less than 1%
of non-contest spots are acted upon by anybody. I reckon that 20 people
using a spot, at any frequency, is pretty damn good.

Periodically we have moans and groans about someone spotting, for
whatever reason that we don't agree with, X and Y. Whether the reason is
VHF (not WW), only 1000 miles away (not "real" DX), not accessible by
"my state" (and I don't mean just the US here) or whatever - it seems
that we all feel the need to have a bitch about something - sometime.

This is fine, let it all hang out. But don't lose sight of the fact that
the data sent on this network is a microcosm of Ham Radio. Most of what
one hear is erm... "uninteresting" - only a very small bit of it
interests *you*. The exact same thing is true of what one sees on this
network. So please, treat it the same way: ignore stuff that you ain't
interested in...

Someone has taken the (admitted small) trouble of putting that spot onto
the network; to them, it is important, or at least mildly interesting,
or even just, maybe, they think: useful. Otherwise they would not have
bothered. Cut them some slack.

Now, having said all that, if you want to filter your feed, on your
node, to suit your requirements - that is *absolutely* fine by me. It's
a free world (at least for now), variety (again for now) is the spice of
life. But, at the same time, I *absolutely* defend the right of anybody
to send any "legal" spot - however trivial to "experts" on the network.
That spot should be distributed around the world so that nodes, and
their users, can choose whether to take any notice of it - themselves.

Also, don't lose sight of the fact that the constant flow of spots
provide a reasonably independent record of activity. This may, in the
future, be of incalculable benefit as a record, should we ever need some
proof of usage of the bands - all of them. I have over 5.5 million spots
going back to 1997 in my spot database.

> Althought there were not a lot of alternatives to the DX command with
> the old AK1A software, DXSpider offers the excellent CHAT function.
> This makes possible to reach only people that share a common interest
> without disturbing the others. Well, the problem may be that not all
> users are aware of this command, but some will never try to use new
> solutions as long as the old one is working sooooooo easily.

All this is true. The chat command is not used as much as it could be.
Having said that it is used more than you are probably aware (sh/chat
100 may be interesting).

If you want people to use chat, then it is up to all of us to publicise
it and, maybe, give a lead. After all that is how the DX command became
so popular in the first place.

73 Dirk G1TLH