[Dxspider-support] AW: Dxspider-support Digest, Vol 22, Issue 14

Jann Traschewski jann at gmx.de
Tue Nov 16 13:11:42 GMT 2004

Dirk wrote:

> The only reason it is the way it is, is to cope with the fact
> that there are people out there that will, speculatively,
> logon to likely nodes and effectively lockout users from that
> node by adding passwords where none existed before.
>
> This was a huge(ish) problem that was identified when I first
> put passwords in and, as a result, this is the current compromise.

Hi Dirk,

Thanks for reply. I think there's a comfortable way for sysops. Here on
local linux systems you can login on RF without any password. Then you can
use "passwd" to set your favourite password for connecting from the Internet
site. You still will NOT need any password on RF-side. So there never will
be a problem for RF-users. You can also change your password ONLY after
giving your current password (if one set). So the worst thing ever will
happen is that some user hasn't set a password, wants to access from
internetside and someone else has already set a password for him.

But how often will this really happen ? Maybe it will happen, but then the
user will write an email to the sysop to change or remove it. Well, without
that function the user always will have to ask the sysop for a password (if
the sysop decided to have password protection from the internet).

So is that a way you think it's useful ? For me it is and most services
support it already.

> Dirk G1TLH

Thanks,
73