[Dxspider-support] local commands not working

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Thu Dec 8 17:48:17 GMT 2005

On Dec 8, 2005, at 5:08 AM, Dan Bookwalter wrote:

> after i got Spider up and running i copied the
> local_cmd directory, but , they arent working. what
> did i forget to do ??

I can guess, based on my own recent experience--

Check the ownership of the contents of that directory.  A few days
ago I installed Ubuntu 5.10, replacing Libranet 2.81, which had
gotten a bit mangled with some updates I had applied from the Debian
testing version (I needed newer versions of a few packages).  I have
a separate partition for /home, so the /spider directory was
preserved, however when creating my various user accounts, I must of
done them in a different order so the UID and GID of some of the
files ended up with different ownership and all of the spider files
were not owned by sysop.  I did the following as root:

chown -R sysop.sysop /home/sysop/spider

This changed the owner/group of everything in the spider directory
back to sysop, which is necessary (the -R option makes the command
regressive).

That wasn't my only problem--Ubuntu ships with a 2.6.12 kernel and I
recalled from the linux-hams list that the mkiss driver is broken in
that release.  I downloaded the 2.6.15rc3 source, compiled a new
kernel and all seems well now.

73, Bob N7XY