[Dxspider-support] Logbook of the World (LoTW)

Robert Chalmas rchalmas at users.ch
Thu Dec 22 22:10:39 GMT 2005

Hi,

> A new feature in AR Cluster, with the support of Robert who collates
> LoTW user data, is a new flag "+" in the comment field to denote that
> the spotted DX station is one who is registered with LoTW. This
> indicator can be interpreted by cluster users quite effectively if they
> are so inclined as it shows that any QSO with that spotted DX will
> result in a LoTW confirmation if they too are registered. DX Spider
> could also do this in a similar fashion.  An example of a cluster output
> with this feature is:
>
> DX de RV6LO:     10106.0  AP2IA        cq cq                      +AP 1318Z
>
> therefore if you need confirmation of AP on 30mtrs, this is a spot to
> take more notice of and to try for a QSO with AP2IA.

I'm currently implementing a better LoTW support in my DX-cluster
client RXCLUS ( http://rchalmas.users.ch/rxclus/ ).

The current test version 8.3alpha1 already includes a window displaying
only known LoTW users (they are currently over 10,600) and can import
the lotwreport.adi file to populate a personal DXCC database based
only on LoTW (in addition to the traditional DXCC database).

The next test version 8.3 alpha2 (to be available in 3-4 days) will
be able to display known LoTW users with special colors in all windows
and to issue audible alarms when LoTW users are located in DXCC countries
not worked or not confirmed via LoTW.

The final version 8.3 should also include a search box to quickly identify
known LoTW users heard on the band before they are spotted.

This should give a small idea of what can be done on the client side;
I guess developers of other client software will have other ideas.

At my opinion, much more can be done on the client then on the server side,
but of course I have nothing against the new function implemented in
AR Cluster!

A search function (SHOW/LOTW for example) could also be implemented on the
server side for those whose preferred client software does not support LoTW,
but this is just an idea, not a formal proposal.

Vy 73's        Robert - HB9BZA

--
Robert CHALMAS, PO Box 1225, CH-1227 Carouge/GE, SWITZERLAND
    email:        rchalmas at users.ch    AX-25: HB9BZA @ HB9IAP