[Dxspider-support] Feature Request

Ian J Maude ian at gb7mbc.net
Sat Dec 24 09:37:19 GMT 2005

HI all,
This thread interests me for several reasons.  The main one is that I
recently had to trawl my logs in order to locate abuse that had happened
here at GB7MBC.  The nice man from OFCOM and I located the required
evidence and action will be taken.  This was not systematic abuse but a
single episode.  I was able to show the IP address from my logs, all
that information is shown.  The issue is that you cannot see where a
pirate logged in to unless you can take action at the time and even
then, it is not always possible to see where they are logged in with our
(unfortunately) well looped network.  IP addresses are only available at
the node the pirate logged in to, assuming it is a Spider node.
I used (post 911) to run registration here and then I had a hard disk
crash on me.  In the rush to get the cluster back up again I neglected
to set registration and it would also have been a pain for the users to
go through again as I had lost all my data.  I personally feel that
registration works very well.  It prevents callsigns other than those
registered locally from casually pirating and in any case, IP addresses
would be logged.
There are 2 major problems in the cluster network that make piracy easy.
One is sysops who set up a cluster because they can but have no real
interest in maintaining it and the second is that users seem to flit
from node to node, not supporting one particular cluster.
I am lucky here that I work from home and that my wife, G0YLM looks
regularly at the cluster for her own use and spots anything happening
pretty quickly.
Personally, I am reconsidering registration here and I have already
implemented a usage policy for my users which has had a lot of support.

72/72 and Happy Christmas

Ian
Ian Maude G0VGS Morecambe Lancs UK | ian at gb7mbc.net
Sysop of GB7MBC, the Morecambe Bay Cluster
Running Linux and DXSpider | K2 #4044

DX and Cluster forums at http://www.gb7mbc.net/forum/