[Dxspider-support] Outgoing connections

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Tue Jan 11 03:48:06 GMT 2005

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 04:19:25PM -0400, Ted Gervais wrote:

> Thanks Dan for your comments. There sure is a lot to know when getting new
> software to work. All comments are really appreciated.
>
> I will check out the 'Periodic' section for teh connect/re-connect stuff.
> I have the scripts made up for telnetting etc.. just was wondering on
> getting them going. I guess this Periodic section might help.
>
> Another question though - if you don't mind - I am using the 'Listener.pm
> file in the ../local directory. This replaces the entries in /etc/services
> and /etc/inetd.conf files.  Without those two entries people can't telnet
> to your cluster??  IE Telnet ve1drg 7300.   It no longer works?  If that
> is correct - shouldnt' we NOT use the ../local/Listeners.pm file??

It should work, but the documentation doesn't really explain it very
well. As I understand it, having that in /spider/local/Listeners.pm
causes cluster.pl to monitor the specified port and make the connection,
rather than having inetd run 'client' (see section 4.3 of
installation_en.txt).  It appears from that paragraph that this was done
to allow DX Spider to run in Windows, which AFAIK doesn't have an inetd.
I still have an entry in /etc/services, but don't know if it is really
necessary.

Bob, N7XY