[Dxspider-support] Info please

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Sun Jan 16 11:37:23 GMT 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 10:14 +0000, Dirk Koopman wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 23:56 +0000, Brendan Minish EI6IZ wrote:
> > On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 00:34 +0100, Robert Chalmas wrote:
>
> > Cluster pollution is already becoming a nuisance. On the hour every hour
> > I see several announces of this nature coming through EI7MRE
>

> > How about a filter in DXspider that spots the same ANN message from a
> > cluster (not a user) within 24 Hours and drops these ann messages so
> > that we can start to filter out some of this automated ANN traffic  ?
>

> Now this is a bit interesting (at least to me). I need to do some
> research at this point.
>
> In theory, as designed and with default settings, you should see one of
> these announcements once every 5 days. Regardless of how often the
> station sends them. In fact I am bit surprised that it even gets out of
> his station, if he is using my stuff.

Having done some more research, it *is* working as I imagined, however:
there appear to be one or two sysops who are obviously aware of this and
have the ability to write some perl to get around the deduping. I shall
leave the method(s) as exercises for the reader.

Erm... without wishing to appear to be, in any way, erm.. racist but why
does my log show that every regular announcer of their cluster node
appears to be Italian (eg sh/log dyndns)? Since 21Nov04, there is an
honourable mention of PE1M, but all the rest are Italian!

I am not complaining or even making some point or other, I am just
curious as to why.