[Dxspider-support] Mandriva 2005 question

richard richard.bown at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jun 20 20:50:08 BST 2005

Tom Vavra wrote:
> I just tried installing Mandriva 2005.  I discovered that, unlike Mandrake
> 10.1, MKISS is not compiled in the distribution package.  My attempt to
> recompile the kernel with mkiss resulted in fatal compile errors.  Mandriva
> without tnc support is useless to me.
>
>              Tom   WB8ZRL

Uhm strange that , I'm using Mandriva LE2005 and

> /usr/src/linux-2.6.11-6mdk/drivers/net/hamradio/mkiss.c
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.11-6mdk/drivers/net/hamradio/mkiss.h
in the same dir
> 6pack.c       baycom_ser_fdx.c  dmascc.c   Makefile  scc.c      yam.c
> baycom_epp.c  baycom_ser_hdx.c  hdlcdrv.c  mkiss.c   yam1200.h  z8530.h
> baycom_par.c  bpqether.c        Kconfig    mkiss.h   yam9600.h

So I wouldn't say its not caterered for.Also between 10.1 and LE2005 there have been some major
changes, these were implemented around the time of kernel version 2.6.10. So if you did an upgrade
from 10.1 to 10.2/LE2005 you would have needed to upgrade your kernel and the new deps in order for
it to work properly.
Its beter to backup what you need in to your home directory( assuming you DID use a separate partion
for it), and then do a fresh install. Keeping the partion with your home dir, it stops alot of dead
files being kept.
I've also just built a kernel while writing this reply, with no errors, a few warnings but no show
stoppers.
Which kernel are you using, which version of gcc, and have you added the main, contrib and update
media sources ?

and if so have you typed the magic words " urpmi.update -a"  as root, and then "urpmi --auto-select"
If you have problems understanding urpmi , google for mandrake twiki its all in very simple language.

HTH
Richard
g8jvm