[Dxspider-support] problem autostarting cluster - Red Hat FC3

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Wed Mar 9 15:19:14 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 09:51 -0500, Mike McCarthy, W1NR wrote:
> It looks like a permissions issue or something missing.  Can you start the
> cluster manually in a console window when logged in under that user?  If you
> are listening on the standard telnet port 23 you will need to run it as
> root.

And, to be blunt, if you do and you get rooted, don't expect any
sympathy from me. The manual is very clear on this, if on nothing else.

It is much better, on a decent unix implementation, to do an iptables
(or whatever) redirect from port 23 to 7300, which *is* the port you
should be using unless there is a good reason why not. For redirection
of this sort and firewalling in general, for linux boxes, I recommend
http://www.shorewall.net.

As to the problem itself: manifestly it is failing to start. So login or
su as spideradmin and cd /spider/perl (Q 1: have you made the /spider
link?).

$ ./cluster.pl

Fix all errors before trying inittab again.

Once you can run it manually in the correct place, then it will work
from inittab.

Personally I would not run something like this as a "service" from
init.d / rc[2-5].d. If it fails, for any reason, the node stops and does
not restart. Also it is much easier to run it as root (see above for my
trenchant views on that).

Dirk Koopman <djk at tobit.co.uk>