[Dxspider-support] Sonicwall TZ-170 router/firewall

Hank Kohl K8DD k8dd at arrl.net
Mon Mar 14 18:47:34 GMT 2005

Dan Bookwalter wrote:

>Anyone have any experience with one of these devices
>?? specifically regarding telnet connections. my
>DI-624 is failing and i am tired of these cheap cookie
>cutter boxes from D-Link , Linksys Netgear etc...
>
>Dan N8DCJ

If you are tired of the discount store solution, you could take a look
at WinProxy
security by Blue Coat Systems http://www.winproxy.com  Although it is a
software firewall solution, it is a good one, and for a 5 - 10 user
network it will
not overload the average 1GHz PC.  Optionally it can also come with
excellent virus
software that checks all incoming and outgoing traffic at the gateway
level, and
 updates several times daily.   They also have Anti-Spam and
Anti-Spyware software
packages - I don't use them, just the virus software .... and have been
*very* happy
with it.

Of course a Linux firewall would also be an option and Zone Alarm Pro
Suite looks
good, but I'm not sure that Zone Alarm or a basic Linux firewall would
be in the
same league with WinProxy.

But, if you have to have a hardware firewall, there are a lot of them
out there for a
whole lot of money ......

No business interest in WinProxy, Linux, or Zone Alarm!

73    Hank    K8DD

--

'Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their
 level then beat you  with experience.'           -anon