[Dxspider-support] The SSID

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Thu Mar 24 09:29:02 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 07:52 +0100, Kjell Jarl wrote:
> Hi,
> Why would the SSID be not important? Or rather what you said Dirk?

I didn't say that it is not important.

> If I go to another (secondary perhaps) QTH and use SM7GVF-7, I would
> like to be treated as another user with other grid locators and so on.

And that is normally what happens (and is how I intend it), although
other people want to be treated more the same.

> Now not even spots I put out is with my SSID included. People hav no
> idea I am at the other QTH.

Spots have never been shown with SSID (except by accident).

> I think this is in error.

Well, this is a very difficult area. The issue is essentially one of
"how much of the 'personality' of G1TLH do I transfer to G1TLH-4". There
seem to be to, more or less, equal and opposite views:-

1. Treat SSIDs as the same person, mostly.
2. Treat SSIDs as different things that share the same callsign and
name, but not much else, mostly.

This debate has happened many times in the past and what you have now is
my interpretation of that. There are some issues, the most important of
which is: you cannot have exactly the same callsign connect more than
once to the same node. This is a fundamental limitation of the program.

However in the original context of "set/badspotter", the view (when
these things brew up) is that sysops don't want to and actually can't
stop all SSID variations of a station that they want to ignore in this
way.

It does not matter to them whether you are home or at your second qth:
if they want to set/badspot *you*, they want to do it wherever you
are :-)

73 Dirk