[Dxspider-support] Hangs revisited (with added bad news)

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Wed Nov 23 17:30:56 GMT 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 18:20 +0000, Dirk Koopman wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 09:22 -0700, Kelly Jones wrote:
> > Has there been any resolution (or proposed fix) for the (seeming) inability
> > to take more than ~60 connections?  I currently have 36 users and 26 node
> > connections.  Spider simply refuses to allow any more.  My CPU load is
> > nearly nothing, but I am not able to log in any additional
> > nodes/users.  This is not a firewall/sessions/whatever problem.
>
> But, as I said earlier: there are no limits in the code. Several people
> on here (please speak up) have had connections running into the more
> than 100. For instance:
>
> G1TLH-2 de GB7TLH 19-Nov-2005 1811Z dxspider > rcmd ed7zab-5 sh/cl
> ED7ZAB-5: 172 nodes, 110 local / 1011 total users  Max users 1147
> Uptime 7 01:34
>
> A 'links' and count up of nodes adds another 26 or so. Which is already
> more than double 60.
>
> I know that this is a pretty average number for Angel, he has had many
> more connections.

It appears that we have a problem for Windows users. Without going to
huge amounts of detail: there is a limitation of a total of 64 open
sockets in Windows.

What this means is that Windows DXSpider nodes can only handle about 60
active connections to nodes and users, per instance of DXSpider.

As it stands, at the moment, there is no obvious way around this and it
does not seem to matter what version of Windows you run.

If having loads of users is important to you, then I am afraid that
using Linux is, currently, your only option.

Dirk G1TLH
--
Dirk Koopman <djk at tobit.co.uk>