[Dxspider-support] New Contest Country Files - 25 October 2005

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Tue Oct 25 13:52:15 BST 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 07:42 -0400, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
> New Contest Country Files are available.  You can download them from:
>
>           http://www.k1ea.com/cty/history.htm#CTY-1506
>
> Please make sure to follow the installation instructions in README.TXT

I have now incorporated the prefix and callsign data from this cty.dat
into the prefix data and that will be available from CVS sometime later
on today (don't know how fast they are doing the updates at the moment).

> UA9[S,W] are now listed in CQ Zone 16 per CQ WAZ rules:
>
> 	http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/wazlist.html

The zone overrides have always been ignored by DXSpider and, for the
moment, continue to be. So you cannot rely, completely, on cq zone data
from DXSpider. This is one of things that I want to fix.

But in order to fix this I need some better data than I have currently.
Specifically I need to tie exception prefixes better to geographical
areas (preferably including [at least] a lat/long). Putting, for
instance, UA9S into zone 16 from 18 either means that the zone
boundaries have changed or we need to revisit the way we do this on a
more fundamental level.

I have, in the past, suggested that I host a web based "database" that
can be kept up to date by knowledgeable people (using web based tools)
and will also output data in a choice of standard formats for people to
update their systems directly.

Dirk Koopman <djk at tobit.co.uk>