[Dxspider-support] BPQ32_409r_Beta_20050914 is now available for testing

Ron Stordahl ron.stordahl at digikey.com
Thu Sep 15 23:04:56 BST 2005

The new BPQ32_409r_Beta does not implement sufficient buffering in the
AGWtoBPQ front end interface to assure it will work over a tcp
connection which might be slow or irregular.  It should work on a LAN
however where significant delays are not expected.  In such a case you
could have your cluster one one machine and the BPQ32 package on another
on your LAN.

In my beta document at 6.0 Known Issues and Limitations I have discussed
this and indicated that John GM8BPQ intends to enhance the interface to
remove this limitation, but this may not occur until this autumn.

On the back end, BPQtoAGW, the new software has the ability to interface
with an instance of AGWPE, and use it's devices, however at this point
this instance of AGWPE must be on the same machine.  This limitation
also is expected to be removed when John finds the time.

On the other hand, if you wish to use devices on another machine, even a
remote one via the internet, you can establish an AX/UDP link by running
BPQ32 on your machine and on the remote machine.  This has been possible
for a long time and I have done so without any difficulty.  In this case
you are simply establishing a NET/ROM connection via AX/UDP rather than
via radio.

The point of adding the 'AGW' stuff to the new BPQ32 was 1) To interface
with existing user programs which had an interface to AGWPE, but not to
BPQ32 and 2) To allow BPQ32 to use sound card modems without an
extensive rewrite of BPQ32.

But it's amazing how you can put all these blocks together!

If you are interested, you should join the BPQ32 Yahoo Group where
details like this will be discussed.  I encourage users to beta test.  I
am however quite sure the software is pretty solid, I have been running
it around the clock for a month on my production system at
http://dxspots.com

Ron, N5IN