[Dxspider-support] BPQ32_409r_Beta_20050914 problem

scarroll at mchsi.com scarroll at mchsi.com
Fri Sep 16 15:36:08 BST 2005

I've been using the windows version of DX Spider for a few years now and it has
been a solid performer for the North Alabama DX Club. Prior to that, we had run
the old DOS version of AK1A with BPQ. When the switch-over happened I was
quickly introduced to AGWPE as the only windows interface that would work with
DX Spider (I'm aware that XRouter will also work, but requires an additional
DOS box). So, it was with great delight that I learned about the enhanced BPQ32
a few weeks ago and was looking forward to testing out the Beta version. So, I
went home last night and did some experimenting...

My objective is to utilize BPQ32 instead of AGWPE, not necessarily run AGWPE
and the AGWtoBPQ simultaneously. So, I have a simple question for Dirk or Iain.
Will DX Spider (windows) support the use of BPQ32 instead of AGWPE?

... so I setup BPQCFG.TXT for my situation, connected a 2m radio and PK-96,
placed the TNC in KISS mode and fired it all up. I was able to bring up
BPQTerminal and connect from another 2m/TNC setup to the BPQ32 NodeCall or
AliasCall without any difficulties. So far, so good... now it was time to
interface DX Spider to the BPQ32 package. After changing the AGW_Connect.pm
(not sure of the exact name in the /spider/local directory) from "8000"
to "8001", I attempted to bring up DX Spider. Of course, when it booted up
there was an error about AGWPE not found. The "bridge" between BPQ32 and DX
Spider did not function correctly.

I guess further experimenting is in order this evening. Am I destined to use
AGWPE and BPQ32 together, or will BPQ32 stand-alone interface with DX Spider?
Maybe I'm expecting it to do something it's not designed to do. I'm guessing
that Ron doesn't have much experience with DX Spider and likewise Dirk may not
have experience with BPQ32. So, I may be in "unchartered waters" here.

Perhaps someone else has already figured this out... I'm very glad to play
around and see what I can figure out though. That's the fun part of
experimenting !!!

Thanks in advance.

73, Steve - K2SC