[Dxspider-support] Re: ADSL router/firewall NAT timeout

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Wed Sep 21 09:06:08 BST 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 09:56 +0300, Olavi Veitola wrote:
> Hello Dirk!
>
> We are using a DXSpider here in Imatra and have packet radio and
> telnet access on it. ( telnet 217.25.99.10 8000 )
> Recently I changed from radio into a telnet connection and soon found
> an annoying feature of my ADSL modem/firewall:
>
> It has an 5 minute timeout that can not be changed and therefore
> my connection fails if there is low rate of infoflow.
> I wonder if it might be possible to program an "keep alive" feature
> into DXSpider software.
> That means that if there are no spots flowing in 5 min (4 min) DXSpider
> would send a keep alive ping to a specific user.
> User could enable and disable this feature by "set/keep" "unset/keep".

The thing most people would say is: change the router. Which one is it?

> I suppose that I'm not the only one with this problem so perhaps
> suggested feature would be worth of considering.

It is available today.

Look in your local DXVars.pm for

# the interval between unsolicited prompts if not traffic
$user_interval = 11*60;

and change it.

Please send these messages to the dxspider-support list. There are lots
of people that have had this sort of experience and can, maybe, help you
out with the router.

Dirk G1TLH