[Dxspider-support] Spider reboots

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Tue Dec 19 19:06:28 CET 2006

On Dec 19, 2006, at 9:14 AM, Strick wrote:

> The cluster reboots approx every 8-12 minutes - can't pin it down any
> closer than that.  It seems to be every 12 mins when I "watch" it, but
> the daily log shows about 180 times which is 8+ minutes.  It's still
> in test mode but I'm about ready to make it a permanent replacement
> for the CLX software on K4UGA.
>
> Box:  Fedora Core 5
> DXS:  DXSpider V1.52 build 61.514  (I know...it's old)
>
> Nothing unusual lately that I know of.  Complete shutdown/reboot of
> the box doesn't help.  I've tried to shut down the cluster and run
> "perl user_asc", but every time I shut it down, it cranks back up.
> Like 3 seconds later.  Don't remember setting up anything that would
> do that.
>
> Any help, please?  My archives search only show the command above as a
> possible solution but I can't even try that yet.
>
> Tnx,
> Bill
> K4DX
> sysop: K4UGA-2

Perhaps you have a line like this in /etc/inittab:

DX:23:respawn:/bin/su -c "/usr/bin/perl -w /spider/perl/cluster.pl"
sysop > /dev/tty7

That will restart it if it is stopped (which is a good thing unless
you are trying to diagnose a problem like this).  Comment out the
line and run 'kill -HUP 1' to reset init and it won't run dxspider,
allowing you to clean up the user database.  If that fixes the
problem, uncomment the line and reset init again.

Bob, N7XY