[Dxspider-support] DXSpider concerns

Ted Gervais ve1drg at av.eastlink.ca
Fri Jan 13 01:38:50 GMT 2006

At 08:25 PM 1/12/2006 -0500, you wrote:
>Ted, what happens when you manually telnet to ed7zab-5 from a command
>prompt on your cluster machine ? If you can manually connect and interact
>with the other cluster the problem lies within your spider install.

Yes. I can connect manually just fine from the computer running
dxspder.  No problem at all.

>  If not, your router is the problem. No port changes need be changed for
> outbound only connections. For inbound connections from users as well as
> other clusters, you need to set your router to port forward whatever port
> you are advertising to the public to that machine. For example
> your  cluster box is 10.7.7.200 and you are using port 7300. You will set
> your router to forward all connects on port 7300 to 10.7.7.200. That is
> the easiest method. As another person stated, you can (if your router
> supports it) map  connects to port 23, the standard telnet port, to port
> 7300 on 10.7.7.200. Personally I like to leave those ports dead and only
> use upper ports. That way someone has to look a little harder for my open
> port. (like that is a problem for them (-;  )

And ok on the port  forwarding.  I have no problem with that. But - if I
can manually connect out to anyone, including the cluster node I am trying
to connect with but my dxspider  fails to get to the outside world - than
what is happening here?   I used to run dxspider before and it ran fine. It
installed just great and so did this installation.  But it fails to get to
the outside world.  Is there a particular file that could be messed up?  I
deleted the whole installation and re-installed it - but that still didn't
correct anything.  It still does the same thing.

I also did the clean installation from the CVS site so I presume that is ok
too.  No older files that might interfere etc.. Just the files taken down
from the CVS site.

>Good Luck & nice chatting with you again. (remember me from the early days
>of fbb)

And yes. I remember you from those good ole days.  How could I forget...