[Dxspider-support] Added LoTW user mark causing duplicate spots

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Sun Jan 22 21:15:14 GMT 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 20:26 +0100, Robert Chalmas wrote:
> I wonder if somebody knows which system generates this kind of spots,
> with the "+K" which (I guess) means a LoTW user:
>
> DX de IZ8FQV:    14192.0  WX3B                                        1856Z
> DX de IZ8FQV:    14192.0  WX3B         +K                             1856Z
>
> It's nice highlighting LoTW users, but with this mention at the
> beginning of the comment field, the second spot is considered as
> different from the first one and generates duplicates.
>
> This kind of "additions" should rather come close to the end of the
> comment field, as many software use only the 60 first characters
> or so for deduping.

Sigh...

The system that is adding the + is AR Cluster.

However that is not the specific problem. Unfortunately there are many
people running "spot suckers" that are re-injecting the sucked spots
from the "user" format output of a node, without sufficient (sometimes:
no) checking. It could also be a artifact of continued clx use (probably
using a "passive" connection.

It is (some of) these people that are causing the problem.

> But the worse is that this spot was obviously modified after being sent
> by its originating node; why are some people doing such things ?
> This can only generate a lot of dupes!

Yes and, as usual, it falls down to me to band aid the problem.

Which I believe I have now done and put into CVS.

Dirk G1TLH