[Dxspider-support] Added LoTW user mark causing duplicate spots

Robert Chalmas rchalmas at users.ch
Sun Jan 22 21:47:34 GMT 2006

Dirk Koopman wrote:

>>I wonder if somebody knows which system generates this kind of spots,
>>with the "+K" which (I guess) means a LoTW user:
>>
>>DX de IZ8FQV:    14192.0  WX3B                                        1856Z
>>DX de IZ8FQV:    14192.0  WX3B         +K                             1856Z

[...]

> The system that is adding the + is AR Cluster.

Well, not sure in this case...
Here is a spot just received on an AR-Cluster node:

DX de NE1B:     144205.1  N1SV         FN42                        +K 2134Z NH

The + is at the end of the comment field, just before the prefix this
software adds to all spots. At this place it should not be harmful as
most software already use to ignore the end of the comment field for deduping.

> However that is not the specific problem. Unfortunately there are many
> people running "spot suckers" that are re-injecting the sucked spots
> from the "user" format output of a node, without sufficient (sometimes:
> no) checking. It could also be a artifact of continued clx use (probably
> using a "passive" connection.

Yes, I guess the "spot sucker" should be the explanation.
I see no current cluster server software that uses the format I reported.

> It is (some of) these people that are causing the problem.

It would be interesting if somebody could help identify the origin
of those modified spots. The only clue at this time is that
all modified spots seems to originate from european stations
(can be seen with "sh/dx info +k" and so on...).

Chances are the guy ignores this format can cause dupes and could change
it to the one AR-Cluster uses (or even better: stop modifying spots he
receives before retransmiting them, but that's another story...).

>>But the worse is that this spot was obviously modified after being sent
>>by its originating node; why are some people doing such things ?
>>This can only generate a lot of dupes!
>
> Yes and, as usual, it falls down to me to band aid the problem.
>
> Which I believe I have now done and put into CVS.

Many thanks Dirk for your great cooperation !

73's                Robert - HB9BZA

--
Robert CHALMAS, PO Box 1225, CH-1227 Carouge/GE, SWITZERLAND
    email:        rchalmas at users.ch    AX-25: HB9BZA @ HB9IAP