[Dxspider-support] PC41 and selfspotting

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Mon Jun 5 17:11:04 BST 2006

A rather disturbing trend has started in recent weeks: it appears that
someone, probably in a privileged position, maybe even a sysop, has
decided to send out PC41/1s with the name 'Selfspotter' around the
network.

Whatever anybody thinks about selfspotting, changing someone's christian
name on the network is not, in my view, acceptable behaviour. And, for
what it is worth, I take a dim view of it. This is *not* what I write
this software for.

As it stands at the moment, about 200 people in my latest user file have
had their record defaced.

Whoever is responsible: please stop. Otherwise, I suppose, we are going
to have to lock the network down again to prevent it from happening. All
of which will cause inconvenience for users and sysops alike.

Dirk G1TLH