[Dxspider-support] Three months limit

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Wed Mar 22 16:04:57 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 15:20 +0100, Robert Chalmas wrote:
> Well, this depends on the performances of your PC!
>
> I agree with Tom for slow machines. With a recent one
> (around 3 GHz and 1 GB memory) a much higher value is possible.
>
> We use 1000 days at HB9IAC-8 and have no problems (the maximum
> search time is around 3 seconds).

> > You can     set/var $Spot::maxdays = ###
> > The default is 100 days.  But I would think very seriously about
> > making
> > it much longer.  Certainly not 5 years.

Memory, as such, is not an issue here, but speed of CPU is. To check
that it is not too much you will need to experiment. Try some values in
the "set/var $Spot::maxdays = nnnn" and then do a "sh/dx QQ01" and see
how it takes to come back with a prompt.

As this program is single threaded, the time that it takes between a
sh/dx and the prompt coming back is 'dead time' during which nothing
else can occur.

I said, earlier, that memory wasn't an issue - that was a slight lie as
subsequent tests on "sh/dx QQ01" may well be faster if you have a lot of
excess RAM as the files will remain cached in RAM by the operating
system.

Dirk G1TLH