[Dxspider-support] How I run Dx Spider in Windows

Lee Sawkins ve7cc at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 24 19:23:11 GMT 2006

I am running Spider in Windows 2000 Pro.
  I start Spider and minimize it.  I almost never look at the actual Spider dos window.

  I am using AGWPE for the radio users.
  I use the AGW monitor program to see what is happening on the RF side.
  This is available from the AGW site.

  I use my winsock.exe and monitor.exe programs to see what is happening with the incoming telnet connections.
  http://www.bcdxc.org/ve7cc/special/winsock.htm
  http://www.bcdxc.org/ve7cc/special/monitor.htm

  I use my AR User program to keep track of the overall operation of the cluster.
  http://www.bcdxc.org/ve7cc/default.htm#prog

  The AGW monitor, my winsock monitor and my AR User program will all run on a remote computer, connected to the cluster computer via TCP.  This is how I do it.  I have found that the best way to keep the cluster running is to simply leave the cluster computer alone.  This minimizes chances of crashing it.

  What would be nice is to have a Windows GUI that allows changing of cluster parameters.   This would be simple for me to write.  However it would require Dirk to change his software.  The problem I have is that the cluster parameters are scattered all over in different perl modules.  If there was one single configuration file that the perl modules could read. then my Windows' program could also read and write to this file.  I could even generate the default list of parameters, which could then be changed for individual installations.  This is exactly how my AR User program does it.  The ve7cc.cfg file is generated by the program.   The AR User program modifies this file when the user makes changes to his setup.  If Dirk will change his program, I can quickly make a Windows interface.

  Lee