[Dxspider-support] N8S

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Sun Apr 8 23:25:14 CEST 2007

Mike McCarthy, W1NR wrote:
> I just noticed something interesting about the spots for N8S.  Shortly
> after loading the new cty.dat file, the spots came through without a
> state designator at the end of the comments field.  Now, they are all
> listed as MI for Michigan.  The command show/dxcc N8S correctly shows
> Swains Island as does show/head and show/sun.  So, why do the spots now
> show MI instead of <blank> as it was working at first?

I have looked at this in some depth and it appears that a gotcha has
been created. But more of that in a minute.

Firstly, I can't reproduce the MI thing on my nodes. I have updated the
usdb and also included the lastest 1703 cty.dat (which is now in CVS BTW).

However, sticking N8S on Swains Island has finally, and irrevocably,
broken my prefix system. Doing a sh/pre on N8SBB (for example) will put
them on Swains Island (together with N8S<anything>). Thanks a bunch, FCC.

The Prefix system has been creaking at the seams for a while. I suppose
this must be the straw that breaks it. Ho Hum.

I suppose I shall have to do something about this now. Which is all a
bit of a nuisance as I shall be in Australia until the 27th, starting in
two days time. Just as well I am taking the laptop. Something to do on
the plane, possibly.

Dirk G1TLH