[Dxspider-support] DXspider under Debian

Oleg Chernyawski uu1dx at uu1dx.com
Tue Feb 20 23:59:06 CET 2007

Dirk Koopman пишет:
> I don't know how you have ever managed to run this on a linux or unix
> box as a normal user. You can only bind to ports less than 1024 if you
> are root. It has been like that for as long as I can remember.
>
> IIRC it mentions something about this in the installation manual. That
> is we I use port 7300 as standard.
>
> Dirk

Yes Dirk, just got the mail but already find where the problem is... You
are 100% right, only root can bind privileged ports, but as for me - not
so good to run spider as root :-) to prevent sonme h at ckers to get my
rootshell :)
So I did next: running cluster as user sysop on port 22223 and doing
redirect to 23 using firewall.

====part of firewall file=====
#start cluster redirect
$iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 23 -j REDIRECT --to-ports
22223
#end cluster redirect

Solved.

BY THE WAY - MAYBE YOU NEED TO ADD IT TO FAQ:

now running spider under Kubuntu 6.10, in this system is no inittab file.

If you're using Edgy, inittab has been split off into several files,
most of which are inside /etc/event.d, if I recall correctly.
Inittab and the new configuration files are somewhat similar, but you
might have to get creative.

So I made a file in /etc/event.d named "cluster" contains next:

---------------start----------------------
start on runlevel-2
start on runlevel-3
start on runlevel-4
stop on shutdown

respawn /bin/su -c "/usr/bin/perl /home/sysop/spider/perl/cluster.pl"
sysop >/dev/tty8

after the file is done, do telinit q, this will run cluster as sysop. If
you need, redirect ports to any below 1024 and viola!

Thank you very much!

Oleg
UU1DX