[Dxspider-support] Talk command

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Wed Jul 11 21:00:14 CEST 2007

Aurelio, PC5A/AA2WH wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A user at PI4TUE-8 (version 1.54 (build 0.102) pointed out a strange
> behaviour compared to a few weeks ago. He sent a talk to a not-connected
> user and got back a normal prompt as if the talk was succesfully delivered.

<snip>

> Is this new behaviour normal?

Er.. possibly. Depends on what we want to achieve here.

The new protocol has the possibility of finding that elusive talk
recipient where there is incomplete routing info about how to get to them.

However, that then means that you can't be sure that the recipient
actually either is connected somewhere or even exists.

The protocol does not get a complete picture of the network until about
one hour has passed (it may be less, but not more). This means we have
to make a choice: either allow a "broadcast" to find the recipient or
only do a "directed" talk if the recipient is in the routing table.

Discuss.