[Dxspider-support] Urgent

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Sun Jun 24 10:38:12 CEST 2007

Ian J Maude wrote:
> Dirk Koopman wrote:
>> Would everyone (still awake) cvs update NOW please
>>
>> There is a horrendous loop happening.
>>
> Well that has certainly quietened things down :-)
> Connected with latest from about 08:45 local.  The routing is definitely
> minimalist!  sh/route gb7djk now shows this...
>
> sh/route gb7djk
> GB7DJK on GB7DJK via
>
> and I am not seeing very many nodes at all.  For example, I cannot (even
> with sh/newc) see much from gb7baa.  I do not seem to be seeing ea7zab-5
> at all.  Of course, this may be the plan and I could simply be
> confused.  Nothing new there at all.
> Thanks as always for the amazing work Dirk, your commitment is fabulous!

I suspect your node list is a bit bigger now. And sh/route should show
something as well. The reason that you don't get a result because I am
being rather careful at the moment with the routing. I will broaden it
out a bit more when I understand the information flows better. In the
meantime I get this now:-

sh/route gb7mbc
GB7MBC on GB7MBC via ED7ZAB-5,GB7DJK-1,WR3D

Which suggests that ED7ZAB-5 is the most direct route, because the
possible nodes are now returned in "no of hops" order.

To explain what is happening:-

On connection, rather than generate current config of yourself and all
your dependent oldstyle nodes (which was the beta tested early
behaviour), it now simply sends out the last generated node config +
plus a linking 'add node' record for the binding of your node and the
one just joined.

Then (currently, randomly, between 45-60mins) each node will broadcast
its current config. This used to be each node and all its dependent
nodes in one hit. Now each dependent node's config broadcasts are all
spread out randomly in the same way as the parent node.

The result of this is that it can take up to an hour before the full
shape of the network appears in sh/newc. And very interesting that shape
is too...

I am currently still, in the meantime, sending add and delete config
changes (think PC16 and 17, but including nodes as well). Which probably
speeds it all up a bit. In principle, because the current configs are
broadcast every hour (roughly), during busy times (eg weekends) the
add/delete updates could be switched off (at least for users). Whilst
this would mean having oldish configs about, they will generally keep
up, but the overall traffic would be much reduced.