[Dxspider-support] AX25 setup help / can't compile ax25-tools

Mike McCarthy, W1NR lists at w1nr.net
Tue May 15 14:38:37 CEST 2007

Dale Harwood wrote:
> I am in the process of upgrading everything here and getting rf support
> back on the cluster (after loosing my main cluster box a few months
> back)
> I am using centos5 (rhel5) and a kernel version 2.6.21.1.
> The only thing that I can not get to compile is ax25-tools. Following is
> a sniplet of the failing area of the compile.
>
> snip^
>   -DAX25_LOCALSTATEDIR=\""/usr/local/var/ax25/"\"     -g -O2 -Wall -c
> sethdlc.c
> In file included from sethdlc.c:46:
> hdrvcomm.h:45:30: error: linux/soundmodem.h: No such file or directory
> In file included from sethdlc.c:46:

Dale,
   Soundmodem was removed from the 2.6 kernel.  No one has taken up the
ball on updating the tools distribution and fix this error.  The easiest
thing to do is manually edit the makefile (after .config, etc.) and
remove the building of sethdlc.  Of course, if you need to use a sound
card as a TNC you have a problem.
   Another alternative is to run openSUSE 10.2, which has the AX25
kernel stuff built in (no need to recompile kernels).  The AX25 packages
are also available pre-compiled as an "install source".  This is what I
have been running for several years (Since SUSE 8.0).  I find it much
easier to configure and set up and I've tried just about every other
distro out there.

Mike, W1NR