[Dxspider-support] Cluster Update Question(s)

Mike Lewis mlewis at digitalglobe.com
Wed Oct 10 08:11:03 CEST 2007

I was trying to update my cluster software, since I have been having issues with both telnet sessions that connect to the cluster over my local network freezing, and also with the cluster itself becoming unresponsive. I didn't realize I was potentially running a noticeably older version, until I went in and discovered the current version numbers. My cluster was reporting version 1.53 Build 16. I first tried to use the CVS method of downloading, so that updates would be very easy in the future. For some reason I was getting an error message.

1) I try cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/dxspider login and get cvs [login aborted]: connect to cvs.sourceforge.net(66.35.250.207):2401 failed: no route to host error. I don't understand this, since I can connect to the web, go the the dxcluster.org site, download CVSlatest.tgz manually, ping sourceforge.net, - basically, I seem to have total net connectivity.

2) I give up on the CVS approach, and download CVSlatest.tgz. I then rename my existing spider directory to something else, and untar to a new spider directory, recopy my existing files from local and local_cmd for my existing install, copy user_asc over and run perl user-asc, and recompile the client. When I go to run the cluster, it starts up apparently fine, but I still get the same version and build as before, V1.53 Build 16. Is this right? What happened to my updates? I am pretty confused, and unsure if I have actually changed anything.

I obviously don't understand cvs or the install process very well, hoping someone can set me straight on my problem(s). Then I can get back to trying to see if the REAL issues I am having with freezing telnet sessions and locked up cluster.pl programs is fixed/can be fixed.

KE0MF/Mike