[Dxspider-support] Perl problem?

Saul k1bi at comcast.net
Wed Oct 31 17:45:07 CET 2007

Interesting discoveries with respect to Perl versions. The platform at the
K1RK node is a Windows ME box with ample disk and memory space. While
installing 5.8.8 bld 820 appears to work, at least in a cmd box, it (and
WinME) somehow interacts with Spider and causes the cluster to fail during
startup. It can't find users.V3 even though it's there and looks reasonable
in size (as do all the user_asc files). I regressed to Perl 5.6.1 bld 638
and had the same problem on the ME box. Just for kicks I took a spare
processor I had here that was running Win XP, installed Perl 5.8.8 on it
with a fresh tarball of spider, started it up and "orft it jolly did go."
Then, being a masochist, I transferred the complete Spider backup (a 1.54
bld 0.162) I had on the K1RK ME machine from the last time it ran under an
earlier version of Perl (don't remember version - it was 5. something or
other but not a 5.6.x, maybe a 5.5.X), and bingo - it started up just fine.
It even linked with K1XX who is normally my feed. So, something is rotten in
Perl Land between Windows ME, recent Perls, and DX Spider. What, who knows.
I may just bite the bullet and upgrade the K1RK machine to Win XP when I can
get over to the site because at the moment I can't find a Perl install older
than 5.6.X.

There's also a problem with at least two of the Spider required PPM's for
5.8.8 There is no Data-Dumper but there are 3 - 5.8.X compatible versions of
it that evidently work with DX Spider. There is a Time-HiRes, but it says
it's a downgrade from what came with the 5.8.8 install. The version I found
was 1.49 and the version evidently already installed was 1.80. The 1.49
doesn't do anything drastic to it with DX Spider so I installed that. The
rest of them are available and found by the PPM GUI (DB_File, Net-Telnet,
and TimeDate). So unless somebody can tell me why Spider can't find user.V3
(and perl user_asc does not seem to create anything) with Perl 5.8.8, I
guess K1RK is down until I can get over to the remote site to install XP on
it.

Saul, K1BI