[Dxspider-support] IPv6 Support in Dxspider

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Sat Sep 8 15:49:36 CEST 2007

Brendan Minish wrote:
> I have recently begun investigating what is involved in Dual homing our
> network (we are a Wireless ISP) and all our servers in IPv6 space as
> well as IPv4
>
> Surprisingly it is not all that hard, Nearly everything we use currently
> supports IPv6
>
> IPv6 is supported by a lot of things these days, with modern linux boxes
> it will 'just work' I have read that it is an integral part of Windows
> Vista and I have gotten it working on Windows XP
>
> IPv6 is coming, and perhaps sooner than you think, At a recent RIPE
> meeting we were told that we would have approximately 2 remaining years
> of easily available IPv4 address space, after then it is going to get
> increasingly more difficult to get blocs of IPv4 addresses to allocate
> to our customers.
>
> For those of you who might like to try out IPv6 now, if your internet
> provider does not already offer end user IPv6 allocations you can use a
> tunnel broker such as SixXS
> www.sixxs.net
>

> What would be involved in adding native IPv6 support to Dxspider so that
> Dxspider can be dual homed?

Er... Have you tried it? There is nothing (that I can think of, just
now) in the code that relies on the "dotted quad" format of an IP address.

The fact that I use '0.0.0.0' in Listeners.pm is simply because I am
deeply conservative (I have been writing programs since 1972, after
all). Anything you put there will simply be passed to the perl network
routines which (usually) just work. Same in connect scripts.

Another thing you might not be aware of is that using the form '0.0.0.0'
means "listen on all interfaces" and that AFAIK includes IPv6 ones.

Dirk G1TLH